What is it called?

I'm looking for the name of a switch, so i can make/purchase. A switch that would stay closed until activated by an electrical impulse and would stay open maybe have a reset of some kind? If i knew what it was called i could find more info. Im looking to use a piezoelectric sensor ( knock switch) to activate a voice recording.

by tgellen
July 30, 2022

The electronic piece is called a triac, but it is for a little bit higher voltage ( triac BT136 as example).

They are often used with an opto-isolator driver (such as the MOC3081 , a zero-crossing trigger is generally safer) so you can command the gate of the triac without being exposed to the voltage which is switched ON by the triac.

You turn the triac off by turning the main current (possibly an alternative current) off.

by vanderghast
July 30, 2022

I should have added that you can get the opto-isolator + the triac in a single package, a solid state relay.

Note that you need to keep the DC input at some minimum current and voltage to keep the triac open. Fortunately, you can use a standard logical latch IC which could supply the said input control for that purpose.

by vanderghast
July 30, 2022

No Answers

No answers yet. Contribute your answer below!

Your Answer

You must log in or create an account (free!) to answer a question.

Log in Create an account

Go Ad-Free. Activate your CircuitLab membership. No more ads. Save unlimited circuits. Run unlimited simulations.

Search Questions & Answers

Ask a Question

Anyone can ask a question.

Did you already search (see above) to see if a similar question has already been answered? If you can't find the answer, you may ask a question.

About This Site

CircuitLab's Q&A site is a FREE questions and answers forum for electronics and electrical engineering students, hobbyists, and professionals.

We encourage you to use our built-in schematic & simulation software to add more detail to your questions and answers.

Acceptable Questions:

  • Concept or theory questions
  • Practical engineering questions
  • “Homework” questions
  • Software/hardware intersection
  • Best practices
  • Design choices & component selection
  • Troubleshooting

Unacceptable Questions:

  • Non-English language content
  • Non-question discussion
  • Non-electronics questions
  • Vendor-specific topics
  • Pure software questions
  • CircuitLab software support

Please respect that there are both seasoned experts and total newbies here: please be nice, be constructive, and be specific!

About CircuitLab

CircuitLab is an in-browser schematic capture and circuit simulation software tool to help you rapidly design and analyze analog and digital electronics systems.