Relays SOLVED

Do the relays work in simulation?

by kyle341
March 05, 2013

They do not work for me. Anybody made them work?

by Pablo_thinker
March 13, 2013

Please post an example circuit.

No circuit: no help.

Anyway, what's the problem?

:)

by signality
March 14, 2013

are the relays in the sim 12v? cause im using 5v. yea my relays dont switch the signal right up to them is fin but no switching https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/7dgz7t/ball-counter/

by djsnowman06
March 14, 2013

btw im a noob so point out any problems besides as well

by djsnowman06
March 14, 2013

This is a very simple circuit to show my problem.

(In a DC analysis) If SW1 is open, NODE2 should not be 24V, but it is. If SW1 is close, NODE1 should not be 24V, but it is.

by Pablo_thinker
March 14, 2013

same thing im running into

by djsnowman06
March 14, 2013

in the above circuit using time domain... it says there is voltage on both node at the same time. physically impossible with a single spdt ralay

by djsnowman06
March 14, 2013

relay*

by djsnowman06
March 14, 2013

". it says there is voltage on both node at the same time. physically impossible with a single spdt relay"

No it isn't.

If you have no load resistance then there's no current through the relay contacts therefore there's no voltage drop across them irrespective of whether they're open or closed.

Put resistances from relay contacts to ground or to some other node and everything works fine.

In other words, there must be a load on any relay contact that you wish to plot.

A quick test: make R1 and/or R2 = 1T (1e12 Ohms) and you'll see the voltage swing reduces to 6V (i.e. vcc/2).

(Actually, I've just edited my demo to show this.)

This proves that there is a "parasitic" resistance in parallel with the relay contacts which sets their open circuit resistance at 1T.

:)

by signality
March 14, 2013

"A quick test: make R1 and/or R2 = 1T (1e12 Ohms) and you'll see the voltage swing reduces to 6V (i.e. vcc/2).

(Actually, I've just edited my demo to show this.)

This proves that there is a "parasitic" resistance in parallel with the relay contacts which sets their open circuit resistance at 1T."

That should be 1000T (1e15 Ohms)

by signality
March 14, 2013

OK, but I’ll call it a bug. Not practical. Not real.

Maybe something for the ivory tower.

Please CL, don’t strive to be the 23rd copycat ...

Regards, Sancho

by Sancho_P
March 14, 2013

Post a Reply

Please sign in or create an account to comment.

Go Ad-Free. Activate your CircuitLab membership. No more ads. Save unlimited circuits. Run unlimited simulations.

About CircuitLab

CircuitLab is an in-browser schematic capture and circuit simulation software tool to help you rapidly design and analyze analog and digital electronics systems.