Collaboration feature ideas

It would be nice to be able to designate other users who can edit my circuits. Not just to save in their own profiles, but to change the version in my profile.

For example, my father and I are working on a series of circuits. I don't mind making them public, but I really only want to share with him and "allow" him to edit them within my profile. That would avoid having to check his profile for a more current version (and vis versa) each time one of us wants to change it.

Of course, that makes revision tracking more important, as we may be editing and saving changes at the same time. If we could see the last revision saved by "allowed" users as well as the last revision saved by us, that would enable manual merges of any changes. Or perhaps we could pull up the other user's version in our revision history until we view and accept their changes.

Oh, and how do we add revision descriptions to the revision history when saving a file?

by petiepooo
February 29, 2012

This is an excellent idea. Please implement it!

by konni
February 29, 2012

Seems to be confusion regarding what can be done with PRIVATE files versus what can be done with PUBLIC files for collaborative activity. In Google Docs we can specify who our collaborators are. Something like that would be nice in CircuitLab.

by arvevans
September 16, 2012

Have you seen this in the Blog?

https://www.circuitlab.com/blog/2012/06/07/unlisted-circuits-easier-sharing-of-schematics/

by signality
September 17, 2012

Fantastic! that accomplishes exactly what I needed. Now my friend in Australia can work with me in the US to do collaborative circuit development. Thank you very much for that information.

by arvevans
September 17, 2012

However...by using the URL for an unlisted file my Australian friend can read my files, but cannot modify them. He apparently has to save the modified file under his own unlisted file name and then I can access the new file using his URL. As you might imagine this may be useful as a sort of version tracking system, but it also causes the saving of many files that have been made obsolete by design improvements.

by arvevans
October 12, 2012

Post a Reply

Please sign in or create an account to comment.