Voltmeter, ammeter and rms values

Hey. My name is Jose Antonio. I want to first thank you for so good program.

I want to give some ideas if they can perform.

I am a teacher of basic electronics and I think it would be a good idea for voltmeters and ammeters could function as they do in reality. Thus, especially at first, to beginning students is easier to learn electronics.

There is also a very interesting option that can be measured directly in both AC voltages and currents in a circuit. The measured values ​​could be in RMS.

Again, for students who are new to the electronics, it would be a powerful tool.

Thank you.

Hola. Mi nombre es Jose Antonio. Yo quiero dar primeramente las gracias por tan bien programa.

Yo quiero dar algunas ideas por si se pueden llevar a cabo.

Yo soy profesor de electronica basica y creo que seria muy buena idea que los voltimetros y amperimetros pudiesen funcionar tal como lo hacen en la realidad. Asi, sobre todo al principio, para los alumnos principiantes es mas facil aprender electronica.

Además, hay una opcion muy interesante es que se pueda medir directamente en corriente alterna tanto las tensiones como las intensidades en un circuito. Los valores medidos podrian ser en valor eficaz.

Nuevamente, para los alumnos que se inician en la electronica, seria una herramienta poderosa.

Gracias.

by joseagr.ite
August 05, 2012

Measuring RMS is not a simple as measuring a voltage or a current. You have to average of a period of time or a number of cycles.

Is should be possible to implement either technique by post processing the waveform data over a specified time interval.

However if you want to measure the true RMS of a voltage or a current right now then you might like to play with these:

by signality
August 06, 2012

Hi @joseagr.ite,

We just released a feature that lets Voltmeters and Ammeters display the results of a DC Simulation in a schematic. This allows you to place a Voltmeter on a schematic and run a DC Simulation to see the results right on the schematic. You can read about this feature in the CircuitLab Documentation.

by hevans
August 21, 2012

This is absolutely fantastic ;-) for showing students where and how to connect their meters and what they should read.

Thank you very much. Don

by Don.A
August 21, 2012

Helo hevans.

This is fantastic. Thanks. this is perfect for my students.

The next step: show rms values in AC simulations.

Thanks

by joseagr.ite
August 22, 2012

Just having a peak-reading AC meter capability would be helpful. From that we could calculate the RMS value (0.7 X peak...assuming a sine-wave). Or having RMS reading meter could allow conversion to peak (1.4 X RMS).

by arvevans
September 16, 2012

Ok, thanks

by joseagr.ite
March 24, 2013

Agree. Any type of AC voltmeter would be very helpful. Maybe a meter could be configurable as peak reading or RMS. An RMS readout on the graph cursor would be nice too.

by alehman
October 28, 2013

I have a power supply simulation circuit. I can meter the voltage across and current flowing from the sine wave voltage source into the transformer primary. When I try to meter the secondary voltage and load current the result is zero?
The calculations required to couple the windings, allowing for losses are missing.

by Hobby
May 10, 2014

I use a SCOPEMETER to measure and view my circuit parameters. It has 'floating' inputs allowing me to simultaneously measure parts of a circuit which do not share a common ground such as a transformer primary/secondary, or signal which would otherwise be a short circuit if a common grounded instrument were used. If CircuitLab can design a similar device which would also have the options of displaying DC, AC, DC+AC, Min., Max., Peek, Peek to Peak, TRMS, Average, Frequency, Time, Duty Cycle, Power, Phase, Rise Time, Fall Time, Pulse Width, Spectrum Analysis, it would be great.

by Hobby
May 13, 2014

Post a Reply

Please sign in or create an account to comment.