Is there a Model for a male power jack?

Hello, How do you model or display a power jack? Essentially plugging into this jack reroutes voltage, right?

Many thanks in advance. I am still getting used to using CircuitLab, a brilliant online simulator!

by chromedragon
August 04, 2012

A couple of examples:

by signality
August 04, 2012

Sorry, that wasn't a very clear posting. I lost a chunk of text somewhere in trying to reply.

A simple 'ON if the power is plugged in or OFF if it is not' jack can be represented by a normally open (SPST no) switch.

It could equally be represented by a normally closed (SPST nc) switch if the power is normally plugged in.

The sort of jack that physically reconnects between say an internal battery and an external supply can be represented by a changeover switch (SPDT).

i) You can use any of the CL switches and draw a box round it with some text to explain what it represents;

ii) if you use the 'static' switches as shown in:

then in one run, you can simulate the circuit once with the switch open and once with the switch closed.

However, note that if you use the static changeover switches like the SPDT shown in:

then you cannot see the results of the A switch closed (B open) and then the B switch closed (A open) in one simulation run because you cannot select the switch state as a sweepable parameter. You have to do two simulation runs which is a bit naff.

iii) if you use the time controlled SPDT switch then you can simulate how the circuit behaves with the switch in the before the changeover state and then in the after the changeover state;

iv) you can use two voltage controlled switches driven by a PWS() or PWSREPEAT() source to make an SPDT switch which you can switch any time you like:

(see:

https://www.circuitlab.com/docs/expressions/

and

https://www.circuitlab.com/docs/circuit-elements/#behavioralsources

for more about the PWS() source)

by signality
August 05, 2012

Post a Reply

Please sign in or create an account to comment.

Go Ad-Free. Activate your CircuitLab membership. No more ads. Save unlimited circuits. Run unlimited simulations.

About CircuitLab

CircuitLab is an in-browser schematic capture and circuit simulation software tool to help you rapidly design and analyze analog and digital electronics systems.