Circuit design help

Some background info, I'm trying to think up a device that I can use on an airplane without physically breaking into the aircraft wiring. My problem is I have a plane with gear retraction problems. The gears use inductance proximity sensors, with 28VDC from the control box to the sensor and back to the box, to know when the wheel bogies are in the correct position for retraction and one of them is slow. Is there some sort of circuit using either a clamp style meter, or ring style current detector that I can pass the wire from the two sensors through, and a light will come on when the gear is in the proper position.


by Christvdir
December 17, 2018

Something wrong here. You talk about bogies, which imply an aircraft of substantial size with complex gear retraction, yet you ask for a Heath-Robinson or Rube Goldberg solution. Is this a model made by an amateur, or is it a full-size aircraft. Does the OEM know about this problem?

by mikerogerswsm
December 17, 2018

Yes this is a commercial jet. We have been working with the manufacturer but haven’t gotten much help, and the technology of the prox box is not advanced enough to isolate the issue. We know it is an issue with one of the bogies because if the pilot waits about 10 secs after breaking ground to retract the gear there isn’t a problem. And with it being a commercial aircraft, actually breaking into the wiring would require engineering, the FAA, and manufacturers input.

by Christvdir
December 17, 2018

I understand that your requirement is for non-invasive equipment for diagnostic purposes only and not for use on commercial flights.

I am aware of clamp-style devices for measuring ac current and for measuring high values of dc current. However I do not know of any non-invasive way of detecting signal currents such as a few milliamps of 28V dc under aircraft-type conditions.

As a purely temporary measure one might gain approval to replace the appropriate fuse or breaker by an external item which itself is a fuse or breaker and provides means of measuring the signal.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

by mikerogerswsm
December 17, 2018

No Answers

No answers yet. Contribute your answer below!

Your Answer

You must log in or create an account (free!) to answer a question.

Log in Create an account

Go Ad-Free. Activate your CircuitLab membership. No more ads. Save unlimited circuits. Run unlimited simulations.

Search Questions & Answers

Ask a Question

Anyone can ask a question.

Did you already search (see above) to see if a similar question has already been answered? If you can't find the answer, you may ask a question.

About This Site

CircuitLab's Q&A site is a FREE questions and answers forum for electronics and electrical engineering students, hobbyists, and professionals.

We encourage you to use our built-in schematic & simulation software to add more detail to your questions and answers.

Acceptable Questions:

  • Concept or theory questions
  • Practical engineering questions
  • “Homework” questions
  • Software/hardware intersection
  • Best practices
  • Design choices & component selection
  • Troubleshooting

Unacceptable Questions:

  • Non-English language content
  • Non-question discussion
  • Non-electronics questions
  • Vendor-specific topics
  • Pure software questions
  • CircuitLab software support

Please respect that there are both seasoned experts and total newbies here: please be nice, be constructive, and be specific!

About CircuitLab

CircuitLab is an in-browser schematic capture and circuit simulation software tool to help you rapidly design and analyze analog and digital electronics systems.