Custom Components

Hi All,

Is it possible to 'create' a custom component? I want to create a MAX 232 IC. I just don't know if it's possible or how to go about doing so.

Thanks,

by Eth
June 10, 2012

At present (120611) here is no way to build hierarchical circuits or to include subcircuits in CL.

The Custom Part in Annotation Tools is only a drawing aid. It does not appear to have any way to attach or associate a subcircuit, model or hierarchical block to it. That means that you can make a block that represents your target device and put it in a circuit diagram but it will do nothing if you try to simulate the circuit.

There are lots of examples of this use of the Custom Part block around in CL.

It is possible to create a simulation model for the MAX232 (or pretty much any other device) in CL but:

i) it will exist in the top level of your circuit (because all CL circuits are flat);

ii) the circuit will have to be made up from CL circuit elements that already exist.

You can build and test it in a CL schematic and then copy it into your end application circuit but beware that you will have to check and possibly edit any net names in the pasted circuit to ensure that they are unique and so prevent any unintentional cross connections.

That said, a lot of complex functionality can be wrapped up into a behavioural voltage or current source using a single line expression.

This requires a good understanding of how the target device behaves - which will need very careful reading of the datasheet and any apps notes - plus a fair amount of lateral thinking and maths to build up a model. Behavioural models can be made to simulate quickly and reliably as well as being economical on circuit diagram space.

Some examples:

by signality
June 11, 2012

Hmmmmm,

After all I said about behavioural models simulating well ...

doesn't in CL.

See separate post about it.

:(

by signality
June 11, 2012

Post a Reply

Please sign in or create an account to comment.