Convergence problem due to behavioural sources?

This is an attempt to demonstrate the distortion introduced by high-k dielectric ceramic capacitors (e.g. Y5V dielectric) due to the voltage dependence of the dielectric.

It is implemented using behavioural sources to make a charge conserving non-linear capacitor built with an ideal DC transformer and so uses some fairly esoteric features of those arbitrary behavioural sources.

It works OK up to about a 45V pk-pk swing across the behavioural capacitor but falls apart at about 49V pk-pk.

Any ideas as to what might be the problem?

by signality
May 21, 2012

I've made a very much simpler model of the same thing.

This one works. It's possible I just made a mistake somewhere in the first version but that's so complex I'm not going to go back to try and fix it.

However, this one now shows up a problem with the plotting: there are three steps in the sweep and three waveforms to plot for each. The plot window only shows a rather arbitrary 6 out of the total of 9 available plots.

by signality
May 22, 2012

Post a Reply

Please sign in or create an account to comment.

Go Ad-Free. Activate your CircuitLab membership. No more ads. Save unlimited circuits. Run unlimited simulations.

About CircuitLab

CircuitLab is an in-browser schematic capture and circuit simulation software tool to help you rapidly design and analyze analog and digital electronics systems.