Low Ohm Resistance Detection Circuit

Hi,

Will this circuit be adequate for detecting a low resistance given that I've only got 5V and 40mA to do it with?

https://www.circuitlab.com/circuit/2v25v7/lowohmdetection/

The resolution of the A2D is 10 bit with a reference of 5V. I need accuracy to 1/10th of an ohm, this hopefully gives me 1/50th. I realize that the output voltage will not be linear with regard to the value of UNKNOWN, but I can compensate for that with calculations and calibrations in the microcontroller code.

Many thanks for any help/tips. Regards, Marc.

by MD68
November 27, 2013

Also, just on a side note. Can I utilize an analog port on the microcontroller that is just pulled to ground to give a noise floor level to correct other inputs that also have noise?

by MD68
November 27, 2013

Your post does not give enough information about what you are trying to do so here is a sanity check.

It looks like you want to:

i) measure the value of Runknown with SW1 open;

ii) have sufficent resolution to do that using a 10bit ADC with a 5V reference;

iii) not destroy the measurement circuit when the switch closes and the voltage across the Runknown rises to 15V.

Is that correct?

by signality
November 28, 2013

Sorry signality, I should have been more specific. You are correct on all points there yes. Also I should also point out that the 5V 40mA source is turned on by the microcontroller when a measurement is required (it's a digital output pin)

by MD68
November 28, 2013

Never mind. I built the circuit and it works fine.

by MD68
December 05, 2013

Post a Reply

Please sign in or create an account to comment.

Go Ad-Free. Activate your CircuitLab membership. No more ads. Save unlimited circuits. Run unlimited simulations.

About CircuitLab

CircuitLab is an in-browser schematic capture and circuit simulation software tool to help you rapidly design and analyze analog and digital electronics systems.